Am I positively negative or negatively positive?
Well, I took the boys skiing today and Alyson and Mia had some "girl time." As certain aspects of the day took place I felt a little Dad and Derek-ism (that is pessism as Dad and Derek do it) and so I thought that I would relate it to you for you to decide if it was a positive or a negative experience...
Woke up at 5:30 am and then subsequently woke up my 3 sleeping and extremely peaceful boys (-)
Drove 2 hours and 20 minutes to Winter Park (-)
Dressed all 3 boys in the back of our SUV while stepping on DVD's, donuts, and toes (-)
Got out of the warm SUV with all 3 boys and into the 16 degree weather with blowing snow only to hear the boys say, "Is it going to be like this all day?" (-)
Had to walk approximately 1 mile to the ski school for Adin with each of the boys complaining about how cold it is and, by the way, "Dad, can you carry my ski's and me, my feet are tired?"(-)
Adin's ski school ($114), Connor's rental ($10), Preston's rental ($10), Connor's ski pass ($17 with a coupon thanks to Alyson otherwise it would have been $45), Preston's ski pass ($17, thanks again Alyson), Adam's ski pass ($45), Adam's new gloves ($50, he only brought 1 of his 2 gloves and so he had to buy a reasonably priced pair at the lodge), parking ($15), food ($16 breakfast, $20 snacks, $30 lunch, and a $50 dinner with Alyson and Mia), plus gas (about $60 in our fuel economic SUV) for a grand total of $454 for one day. (------)
On the way up our first run I realize that Preston only has his liners on and not his gloves and now his hands are freezing. (-)
We get to the top of the first run and Connor and Preston want to go in the lodge because they are frozen (it is merely -15 degrees with the windchill). (-)
Preston falls 10 feet into the first run and lands on his hands (the ones with just liners) and his hands freeze, he breaks into tears and they freeze on his face, Dad takes off his gloves, puts them on Preston and tells him to clench his fists tightly the whole run until they can get back to the car so now Dad's hands freeze. Connor forgot how to snowboard and is crashing left and right while Preston decides to zoom down the hill as fast as he possibly can. Dad isn't sure whether to catch up to Mr. Speedy or stay back with his oldest son having a breakdown. He decides in his wisdom to tell Connor to do his best and that I have to catch Preston and then I will wait for him. I speed down to stop Preston and then wait about 30 minutes for Connor to work his way to us while the whole time Preston is yelling, "I want to go Dad." (-)
At the end of the first run Dad puts Connor and Preston in a very warm restaurant and then runs to the car for Preston's gloves while they drink hot chocolate and eat chocolate chip cookies (part of the aforementioned $20 of snacks). (-)
They have to pee. (-)
The drive home on a Saturday on I-70. (-)
Oh, but...
The excitement on Friday night when I took them to get their rentals (+).
The kids actually got up with enthusiasm and didn't fight the whole ride up. (+)
Adin said, "I'm going to have fun today in ski school, see you later Dad," as he headed away with his teacher. (+)
Preston smiled the whole way down every run today after his hands warmed up and he beat Connor and me down to the bottom every time. (+)
Connor learned how to do good "S-turns" by the end of the day and was feeling pretty darn good about how he learned to snowboard today. (+)
We watched Adin go down the bunny hill with a big smile and then he gave us each a high 5 as he turned to go do more. (+)
After lunch the boys never wanted to stop going down and we found a lift with a perfect blue run and NO LINE that we did 12 times without stopping. (+)
When I picked up Adin from ski school he wanted to know if, "we can do this again tomorrow?" (+)
The kids were wiped out and quiet or slept the whole way home. (+)
We were met by a smiling Alyson and Mia for pizza. (+)
The kids are all asleep. (+)
Overall, it was a great day! My kids will never forget it, just like I will never forget those days with Dad, Mom, Cami, Tyson, Derek, Tim, and Dan when we would do the same types of things. What's funny about that is that it was easy for them!
Woke up at 5:30 am and then subsequently woke up my 3 sleeping and extremely peaceful boys (-)
Drove 2 hours and 20 minutes to Winter Park (-)
Dressed all 3 boys in the back of our SUV while stepping on DVD's, donuts, and toes (-)
Got out of the warm SUV with all 3 boys and into the 16 degree weather with blowing snow only to hear the boys say, "Is it going to be like this all day?" (-)
Had to walk approximately 1 mile to the ski school for Adin with each of the boys complaining about how cold it is and, by the way, "Dad, can you carry my ski's and me, my feet are tired?"(-)
Adin's ski school ($114), Connor's rental ($10), Preston's rental ($10), Connor's ski pass ($17 with a coupon thanks to Alyson otherwise it would have been $45), Preston's ski pass ($17, thanks again Alyson), Adam's ski pass ($45), Adam's new gloves ($50, he only brought 1 of his 2 gloves and so he had to buy a reasonably priced pair at the lodge), parking ($15), food ($16 breakfast, $20 snacks, $30 lunch, and a $50 dinner with Alyson and Mia), plus gas (about $60 in our fuel economic SUV) for a grand total of $454 for one day. (------)
On the way up our first run I realize that Preston only has his liners on and not his gloves and now his hands are freezing. (-)
We get to the top of the first run and Connor and Preston want to go in the lodge because they are frozen (it is merely -15 degrees with the windchill). (-)
Preston falls 10 feet into the first run and lands on his hands (the ones with just liners) and his hands freeze, he breaks into tears and they freeze on his face, Dad takes off his gloves, puts them on Preston and tells him to clench his fists tightly the whole run until they can get back to the car so now Dad's hands freeze. Connor forgot how to snowboard and is crashing left and right while Preston decides to zoom down the hill as fast as he possibly can. Dad isn't sure whether to catch up to Mr. Speedy or stay back with his oldest son having a breakdown. He decides in his wisdom to tell Connor to do his best and that I have to catch Preston and then I will wait for him. I speed down to stop Preston and then wait about 30 minutes for Connor to work his way to us while the whole time Preston is yelling, "I want to go Dad." (-)
At the end of the first run Dad puts Connor and Preston in a very warm restaurant and then runs to the car for Preston's gloves while they drink hot chocolate and eat chocolate chip cookies (part of the aforementioned $20 of snacks). (-)
They have to pee. (-)
The drive home on a Saturday on I-70. (-)
Oh, but...
The excitement on Friday night when I took them to get their rentals (+).
The kids actually got up with enthusiasm and didn't fight the whole ride up. (+)
Adin said, "I'm going to have fun today in ski school, see you later Dad," as he headed away with his teacher. (+)
Preston smiled the whole way down every run today after his hands warmed up and he beat Connor and me down to the bottom every time. (+)
Connor learned how to do good "S-turns" by the end of the day and was feeling pretty darn good about how he learned to snowboard today. (+)
We watched Adin go down the bunny hill with a big smile and then he gave us each a high 5 as he turned to go do more. (+)
After lunch the boys never wanted to stop going down and we found a lift with a perfect blue run and NO LINE that we did 12 times without stopping. (+)
When I picked up Adin from ski school he wanted to know if, "we can do this again tomorrow?" (+)
The kids were wiped out and quiet or slept the whole way home. (+)
We were met by a smiling Alyson and Mia for pizza. (+)
The kids are all asleep. (+)
Overall, it was a great day! My kids will never forget it, just like I will never forget those days with Dad, Mom, Cami, Tyson, Derek, Tim, and Dan when we would do the same types of things. What's funny about that is that it was easy for them!

5 Comments:
Very good:) I enjoyed the entire travelogue. I am a little confused regarding the Dad and Derekism pessimisim.
I would also like to suggest that you use a larger font now that you are writing to very old eyes.
They do not call us the Grizzweavers for nothing. I could document a million similar trips and when all is said and done, I am glad we did them all.
I said it because of the way both of you look at going skiing. It is a ton of work, but it's funny how in the end you're glad you do it. Both you and Derek instantly break into why Not to go skiing when I discuss going up there so I meant it more in regards to how you view going skiing.
I was laughing outloud as Derek read me your entry. Your kids are lucky to have you!
Adam,
I love this account of your "Grizzweaver" day. I think you should try to find someplace to publish it. You seem to have a real talent for this writing stuff.
I think, in the end...it was just great of you to make the effort. I agree, your boys are lucky to have you and your energy! It was fun to read, too! ( and inspiring...that is inspire-ing...how ever you spell it!)
Post a Comment
<< Home